Violence and assault

During 2019, approximately 84,600 assault offences were reported in Sweden. In the Swedish Crime Survey, 3.6 per cent of the respondents stated that they had been exposed to assault in 2019.

Percentage exposed to assault

Self-reported victimisation due to assualt. Percentage. The results regarding victimisation in 2006–2015 have been recalculated as the Swedish Crime Survey was carried out using a different method in this period Source: SCS

The Swedish Crime Survey shows that the percentage of individuals who state that they were a victim of assault in 2019 is 3.6 percent of the population (aged 16–84). The level is approximately the same as 2018, when 3.5 percent were a victim of assault. The trend for the period 2006–2015 was one of a weak decline, albeit with some yearly variations, but the last four years show a slightly increasing trend.

Men (4.6%) state that they were victims of assault more often than women (2.7%) during 2019. In terms of age, self-reported victimisation regarding assault was most common in the 16–19 age bracket (13.6% among men and 7.3% among women).

Serious assault

A proportion of 0.7 percent of the population (aged 16–84) state that they were a victim of serious assault, which in the SCS refers to assaults leading to injuries requiring medical treatment by a doctor, nurse or dentist. Self-reported victimisation due to serious assault offences has remained at the same level since 2016.

Men (0.9%) state that they were victims more often than women (0.5%) in 2019. Self-reported victimisation due to serious assault was most common among young people in the 16–19 age bracket. Among men the proportion was 0.9 percent and among women the proportion was 0.5 percent.

Concern about assault

The percentage of people who stated that they are concerned very often or quite often about being a victim of assault is 12 percent, which is an increase compared to 2019 (10%).

The percentage of people who are concerned about being a victim of assault is approximately the same for women (12%) and men (11%).

The highest percentage is found among men aged 20–24 and 25–34 (15%), and among women aged 20–24 (17%).

Reported assault

Number of reported assault offences: all reported offences, of which against men 18 years of age and older, against women 18 years of age and older, and against children, 0 – 17 years of age. Source: Reported offences

Reported offences

A total of 84,600 assault offences were reported in 2019; this is a increase by 2 per cent as compared with 2018. In 2019 the level of reported assault offences was roughly the same, or -4 per cent, as in 2010.

During 2019, there were 38,200 assualt offences against women/girls, corresponding to an increase by 2 per cent compared with the preceding year, and by 11 per cent compared with 2010. There were 46,400 assault offences reported against men/boys, an increase by 2 per cent compared with the preceding year, but a reduction by 13 per cent compared with 2010. During 2019, 55 per cent of all assault offences were against men/boys, and 45 per cent against women/girls.

The majority, or 70 per cent, of all assault offences were reported against adults (aged 18 and above), 9 per cent were reported against children aged 15-17 years, 16 percent against children aged 7-14 years, and 5 per cent against children aged between 0-6 years.

Cleared assault offences

Person-based clearance rate² for assault (including aggravated, not with a lethal outcome). Source: Processed offences

Processed offences

In 2019, 86,500 assault offences were processed¹, an increase by 3 per cent compared with the preceding year. An investigation was commenced for the majority of the processed offences (86%), while the other 14 per cent were dismissed with no investigation.

The person-based clearance rate² for assault offences in 2019 was 11 per cent.

The conviction rate for assault offences the same year was 13 per cent.

¹) The statistic for processed offences reports the number of reported offences where the police, public prosecutor, or other investigatory authority has taken a decision regarding the offence.

²) Person-based clearance means that a person suspected of the offence has been tied to the offence through an indictment, the issuance of a summary sanction order, or the issuance of a waiver of prosecution.

  • The person-based clearance rate reports the number of offences with person-based clearances during one year as a percentage of the number of processed offences during the same year. As from 2014, an adjusted person-based clearance rate is reported. The metric is essentially structured in the same way as previously, however, it is calculated based on all processed offences instead of all reported offences.
  • The conviction rate reports the number of person-based clearances during one year as a per cent of all investigated offences, excluding offences with limitations of investigation during the same period.